Saturday, June 15, 2013

Appliqued Sampler: The Typical Civil War Quilt?

Red & Green Applique
Hand appliqued and hand quilted by Wendy Turnbull
2012

Wendy showed this terrific wall quilt at our guild show recently.
She was inspired by some applique patterns she liked,
particularly the Cotton Boll in the center.

I didn't need much of an excuse to show it here, but I thought it was the classic Civil War era reproduction, so here it is for you to admire (do notice the hand quilting!)

I've been collecting pictures of quilts made in the 1860s and when you look at those on my Pinterest page you see that one typical Civil War style is an appliqued sampler in red and green.

Like this one dated 1862-3 from New Jersey from the Antiques Road Show.
See another New Jersey sampler on Barbara Shaffer's blog here:

If you are looking to make a Civil War quilt reproduction---applique might be the way to go.

See Lori's group reproduction at her Humble Quilts Blog

I noticed one of her group also liked the Cotton Boll block.


If you're looking for patterns EQ has digital patterns for 16 designs in a Civil War Sampler:

Homeward Bound
from Sew Graceful Quilting

And Sew Graceful Quilting is doing a block-of-the-month starting this month---a sampler of applique kitted up in my Moda collection Metropolitan Fair for the applique.

See the "Homeward Bound" BOM here:



2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a red and green quilt on my quilting frame right now that has some of the blocks you show in it. I was under the impression from the books I gathered my blocks from that they are from the mid-1800's for sure. I'm hand quilting mine and needle turn applique -

Samantha said...

i love this style. it is known as "baltimore album" and began in popularity prior to the civil war (about the 1840s).