Friday, January 4, 2013

Dixie Diary Sets & Yardage

Set for 8" Blocks

Here is information about the Dixie Diary Civil War Block of the Month sets and yardage. I'm posting it here so we can refer back to it later. The first block has been posted on Saturday, January 5, 2013.

Each month you'll get a pattern for an 8" finished block and a 12" finished block.

Set for 8" Blocks

Quilt is 56" x 68". 12 Blocks.


Fabric Requirements
Blocks: 12 fat quarters or a Layer-Cake of 10" squares would do it with some leftovers from sashing & borders. You could probably get by with a Charm pack with other scraps for bigger pieces.
I am going to use pinks and browns from this Metropolitan Fair collection, but you may want to use the whole range.

Charm Pack of 5" Squares
Pieces will need to be cut larger than 5" so find some coordinating scraps.

Something quite light or quite dark for the applique pieces: 1/2 yard (I am using white background florals from my stash.)

Sashing & Borders: Sashing is 4" and Border is 8"
Electric Quilt says for yardage:
  • Pink cornerstones (20) = 1/2 yard
  • Brown Sash Strips( 31) = 1-1/8 yards
  • Border = 2  yards
Cut borders first and use extra in blocks.

Cutting
Pink Cornerstones: Cut 20 squares 4-1/2"
Brown Sashing Strips: Cut 31 rectangles  4-1/2" x 8-1/2"
Border:  Cut 2 strips 8-1/2" x 52-1/2" for the sides
               Cut 2 strips 8-1/2" x 56-1/2" for the top and bottom.

Set for 12" Blocks
Quilt is 67-1/2" x 87-1/4"
Blocks: You need 12 patchwork blocks set on point.
Setting:
Each 12" inch block is framed by 1" strips. Blocks are 14" finished (includes the strip.)
Patchwork blocks alternate with 14" unpieced blocks
Inner border finishes to 1".
Outer border finishes to 3".
Sandi used Civil War Homefront from a few years ago for her
12" Blocks
Fabric Requirements
Blocks: Maybe 8 different fabrics, 1/2 Yard pieces, or 16 fat quarters.
Buy a little extra of the setting &  borders and add to the blocks.
Something quite light or quite dark for the applique pieces: 1/2 yard
Setting:
Strips Framing the Blocks: 1 yard
Setting Triangles = EQ says 3 yards.
Borders
Inner Border: EQ says 1/2 yard (if you piece it together). Buy one yard and use for binding too. Or buy 2-3/4 yards--use for frames, inner border and binding.
Outer Border: 2-1/2 yards so it doesn't have to be pieced together. Cut the strips first and use the rest in the blocks.
Cutting
Frames for each 12" Block
  • Cut 2 strips 1-1/2" x 12-1/2" for the top and bottom frame.
  • Cut 2 strips 1-1/2" x 14-1/2" for the side frames.
Setting Blocks: Cut 6 setting blocks 14 1/2" square
Setting Triangles:  Cut 3 squares 21-1/2".
Cut each of these into 4 triangles with 2 diagonal cuts. You will need 10 of these edge triangles.
Cut 2 squares 10 7/8".

Cut each of these into 2 triangles with 1 cut. You will need 4 of these corner setting triangles.
Borders
Because the blocks are set on point the final measurements are a little iffy.  EQ says the quilt is about 67.4" wide---I've rounded it up to 67.5. It says 87.2" long. I've rounded it up to 87.25.
Border 1
  • Cut strips 1 1/2" x 79 7/8"  for side borders
  • Cut strips 1 1/2" x 62" for top and bottom borders
Border 2
  • Cut strips 3 1/2" x 81 3/4"  for side borders
  • Cut strips 3 1/2" x 68" for top and bottom borders

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I never get the time to do your BOM's, but I love seeing the blocks and history behind them and how other's do theirs. I have some Metropolitan charms coming, so I might do some mini quilts with it.

Debbie

quilter501 said...

My heart is already beating out of my chest getting ready to begin....

Denniele said...

So glad you posted this...now I can wash and be ready for tomorrow! Excited to begin a new project! Thanks

Barbara Brackman said...

What an audience you guys are!

Anonymous said...

And what a teacher YOU are! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

MoonBeam said...

I am looking forward to starting this BOM and for once I am getting in at the beginning...well, almost.

I have never cared for Civil War prints, but since falling in love with your Morris Apprentice prints a couple months ago and ordering them, I see Metropolitan Fair and Barbara Brackman Civil War books (I have two on order) and quilts all over!

This morning I ordered some Met. Fair...can't wait for it to get here. I will be doing my blocks mostly in greens and blues, as browns and reds are not my favorites. I guess it won't look much a CW quilt, but we all have our little quirks!

Looking forward to getting started when my fabric arrives, and to seeing everyone's interpretation and progress. Also to reading Barbara's wonderful history lessons!

Have fun.

Bobbi

Anna V said...

Just found your blog and I am so excited to do the BOM.....

Aggiequilter said...

Barbara,
My best intentions haven't been able YET to keep up with your great BOMs & BOWs but I'll keep trying and enjoying your posts, regardless. I've always been a history nerd, anyway ...

Anonymous said...

I want to do this BOM but cannot find the first block you posted on Jasn 5. I am new to this so would appreciate any help in getting started. Thanks. Judy

Mireille said...

i'm exciting to do the BOM but where can i buy fabrics? Thanks

Jo said...

I was away on the first Sat of March (2nd) how can I get the BOM pattern as I have done the first 2 and want to continue please. thanks

Vera said...

This is cool!

domino34 said...

Hello, I'm exciting to do the BOM but where can I buy fabrics ? Many thanks