Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Traditional Sets for Westering Women

Barbara Schaffer's blocks in two pictures
Lots of stitchers have finished all 12 Westering Women blocks.
But few have got their tops finished.

Jeanne, however, whipped this out soon after the last block posted last month.


And Rina in Catania, Italy is finished with hers.
She doesn't have access to many repro prints in Sicily.

Both used the "official set" although Rina added an inner border to pick up the lighter colors in her blocks (looks like it might finish to 1-1/2" or 2"). A good balance of darks, mediums and lights.

Denniele's almost done.
She used 2-1/2" finished sashing strips.
Blue strips cut 12 1/2" x 1"  (Cut 62)
Cream strips cut 12 1/2" x 2"  (Cut 31)
Blue cornerstones cut 3" square (Cut 20)

Links to other posts on sets:
http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2016/11/sets-for-westering-women.html

UPDATE:
I have turned the patterns into a PDF for those of you who would like it in a simpler format. All 12 patterns and two sets are available in my Etsy Shop. See the section:

Patterns PDF & Paper


I'll mail you a 15 page paper pattern for $22.50 (US Postage) at this link:

Or you can download and print a PDF here for $15.

Do note I have used photos of your quilts to advertise the pattern. Check out the listings to see if you recognize anything.
Thank you very much, quiltmakers.


13 comments:

Danice G said...

All so pretty. I am still working on my top, and have decided to use your Way West setting. Will hopefully be finished soon :)

Barbara said...

Thanks, Barbara! I really enjoyed this BOM series. Thinking about the Way West set, too :)

Chantal said...

Thank you so much for organising this BOM and for the inspirational settings this morning. It's very helpful and I appreciate. ;^)

Rina Spina said...

Thank you Mrs Barbara,
The lighter inner border I added finish at 1 1/2".
I really enjoyed this BOM, looking forward the next.

Barbara Brackman said...

Thank you Sra Rina for the picture.
Is that how you spell it in Italian?

Rina Spina said...

We spell it Sig.ra ; )

Jeanne said...

I was sashing and assembling as we went along :) Layered now and ready for quilting ...

Thanks, Barbara, for another great series! I'm looking forward to Yankee Diary!

Barbara Brackman said...

A good plan, Jeanne. Won't be able to do that with the next one.Blocks are too scattered throughout the top.

Jeanne said...

Applique is going to take me much longer anyway, so I'm already expecting slow-and-steady rather than lickety-split :)

Merilyn said...

I'm still waiting for my sashing fabric to arrive....I have my quilt top planned, I will be using the traditional setting, already have the border fabric! Thankyou so much Barbara for this wonderful journey, I have thoroughly enjoyed these blocks and enjoyed reading about the Westering Women.
I have been following the discussion about closing quilt shops and your retirement...glad to hear you will continue with your blog, it is a creative lifeline for me and I suspect others of us who just love tradition and all things old and fabulous. Sad to read you will not be doing anymore fabric lines, they have been such a joy to work with and fill my home with such visual comfort in my quilts......I will continue to buy reproduction fabric that sing out to me even though I have enough to last the rest of my life.....I have most of your books, I have been buying them for years, I especially love the ones about the history of fabric which I bought when they first appeared here in Australia, I devoured them and read them cover to cover.....thankyou for everything you do to keep our passion alive and your dedication to the contribution of womens' creative endeavours....you are one in a million.....thankyou so much!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the shares. I finished the 12th block today!

Barbara Brackman said...

Thanks Merilyn for all the nice words. Send pictures when you get it sashed & bordered.

Eve said...

I have recently ordered and received your paper pattern for Westering Women. I have really enjoyed your history and patterns however I am really unhappy with the patterns. I cannot believe that for the price I did not receive a color photo for each block
Eve