Saturday, December 7, 2013

Dixie Diary 12: Turning Yankee


Dixie Diary 12: Turning Yankee
8" Version

A pinwheel represents the end of the Morgan women’s travels through Confederate Louisiana. The Secesh women spent the rest of the war in Union New Orleans.

New Orleans, 1864

Sarah and her mother decided to seek shelter at brother Philip's home. After crossing Lake Pontchartrain in a schooner they were greeted at the dock by a group of Union soldiers who asked them to swear the hated oath, a pledge of U.S. citizenship. 






April 22, 1863 New Orleans

"[The officer in charge] uncovered his head and told us to hold up our right hands. Half-crying, I covered my face with mine and prayed breathlessly for the boys and the Confederacy, so that I heard not a word he was saying until the question, "So help you God?" struck my ear. I shuddered and prayed harder. There came an awful pause in which not a lip was moved. Each felt as though in a nightmare, until, throwing down his blank book, the officer pronounced it "All right!" Strange to say, I experienced no change. I prayed as hard as ever for the boys and our country, and felt no nasty or disagreeable feeling which would have announced the process of turning Yankee….


Taking the Oath in New Orleans

He turned to [Mother] and asked if she was ready to take the oath. "I suppose I have to, since I belong to you," she replied. "No,madam, you are not obliged; we force no one. Can you state your objections?" "Yes, I have three sons fighting against you, and you have robbed me, beggared me!" she exclaimed, launching into a speech in which Heaven knows what she did not say; there was little she left out, from her despoiled house to her sore hand, both of which she attributed to the at first amiable man, who was rapidly losing all patience. Faint with hunger, dizzy with sleeplessness, she had wrought on her own feelings until her nerves were beyond control. She was determined to carry it out, and crying and sobbing went through with it."


Now that Sarah is in Union-occupied New Orleans we will leave her in the summer of 1863. This
is our last block. But look for the end of the story soon.



Cutting a 12" Block

A C 4 rectangles 9-3/8" (9-5/16" if you use the 1/16th" default) x 2-5/8". 
Trim the ends at a 45 degree angle now or wait till the block is finished to trim.

Cut 1 square 4-1/4" (4-3/16" if you use the 1/16th" default). Cut into 4 triangles with 2 cuts. 
You need 4 triangles.

C  Cut 1  square 7 1/4". (7-3/16" if you use the 1/16th" default). Cut into 4 triangles with 2 cuts. 

       
You need 4 triangles.

D Cut 4 rectangles 4-3/4" x 2-5/8".


Cutting an 8" Block

C 4 rectangles 6-1/2" x 1-7/8"  (1-15/16" if you use the 1/16th" default)
Trim the ends at a 45 degree angle now or wait till the block is finished to trim. See above.

Cut 1 square 3-1/4" (3-3/16" if you use the 1/16th" default). Cut into 4 triangles with 2 cuts. 

You need 4 triangles.

C  Cut 1  square 5-1/4". (5-3/16" if you use the 1/16th" default). Cut into 4 triangles with 2 cuts. 

You need 4 triangles.


D Cut 4 rectangles 3-3/8" x 1-7/8" (3-5/16" x 1-15/16" if you use the 1/16th" default).



Optional applique:
Applique a star or a heart after piecing.
Go back to the January 5, 2013 post to see a JPG with the heart and the star.

4 comments:

Lynn S said...

Hi Barabara,
Would you be able to also provide a label for this quilt--maybe something like the book cover picture? That denotes you on it too as well as the made and quilted by XXXX of XXX, dateXXX

Barbara Brackman said...

I can do that Lynn. Look for a future post.

Shirley said...

Thanks Barbara! I love your work. Dixie Diary was my first BOM and first needle turn applique. It was so much fun. I already finished my Portsmouth Star for Threads of Memory, and I can hardly wait for the next one! Is there some way we can share pix of what we do?

Anonymous said...

The measurements seemed off when I cut and sewed. Didn't have the polished looked I was anticipating.